The Wayward Artist
Announcing Auditions for Wayward Voices Presents, “BRACKISH” by Hope Villanueva!
BRACKISH centers around a Vietnamese-American family in the South, gathered together to celebrate, when an act of violence interrupts their daily life. Written by Hope Villanueva, BRACKISH showcases intergenerational relationships, the ever present past, the imminent future, and great food.
Auditions are July 5th & 6th. See below for more information!
The Wayward Artist will hold Auditions for BRACKISH by HOPE VILLANUEVA
Seeking Vietnamese, Vietnamese-American, and South-East Asian Actors; All characters are of Vietnamese descent.
IN-PERSON: July 5th, 7 p.m. – 9 p.m.
VIRTUAL:July 6th, 6 p.m. – 7 p.m.
VIRTUAL: July 6th at 7 p.m.
Director: Reed Flores
Stage Manager: Paige Taylor
Rehearsals Monday-Thursday and Saturday; Performances Thursday to Sunday.
Rehearsals: July 18th-August 18th
Tech: August 21st-August 25th; Performances: August 26th-August 28th
at Grand Central Arts Center, 125 N. Main Street, Santa Ana 92701
Compensation For All Artists
Script Available Upon Request
Sang Dao has spent his life since immigrating as a toddler running his family’s Vietnamese and seafood shop. Now, it’s just him and his two grown daughters and there is an opportunity to sell the restaurant. Neither of the girls live close anymore and they gather for the anniversary of their younger brother’s death, the eldest daughter with plans to lock in the sale. Things get complicated when the weekend is disrupted by a racist act of graffiti, both raising the desire to move on and the ownership of their family home. When Sang Dao is visited by specters of the past, he has to take a look at where they’ve been, where they’re going, and what home really means.
– Sang Dao, 48, Male, A fisherman and owner of Pho & Phish. Used to and loves a life of hard work. Was 3 when he left Vietnam.
– Linh, 24, Female, Sang Dao’s older daughter, business savvy and nurturing of her father and sister.
– Tuyet, 21, Female, Sang Dao’s younger daughter, training to be a chef. Anxious and a people pleaser.
– Hang/Old Woman/Clarice, 60’s, Female, Sang Dao’s mother. A playful, smart woman. Immigrating to the States from Vietnam made her tough and eager to find joy; A customer. Or is she?
– Quang/Officer Garcia, 17, Male, Sang Dao’s oldest child and only son. Died as a toddler and this is what Sang Dao imagined he’d be like; Police officer who takes the report of 20’s Male the vandalism from the family.